In every fire alarm system required in this Code, automatic fire detectors shall be installed as an integral part of a fire alarm system in rooms or portions of the building as follows:
In all rooms where a flammable compressed gas or flammable liquid as described in Chapters 4-112* and 15-24, other than fuel oil for heating, is stored or used; also in shops and storerooms where combustible material is stored or handled.
* Editor’s note – Ch. 4-112 does not exist in the Code
In every building used in part as an institutional building, school, hotel, or single-room occupancy, an automatic fire detector shall be installed in such portion or portions of the building used for purposes other than institutional, school, hotel, or single-room occupancy purposes, unless such institutional building, school, hotel, or single-room occupancy is separated from all other occupancies by a separation with a fire resistive value as specified in Section 13-56-280. Such automatic fire detectors shall be installed, spaced and located in accordance with the recommendations, based upon actual tests, prescribed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory acceptable to the fire prevention bureau.
In every storeroom, maintenance shop, fan room, mechanical equipment room, laundry, linen room, janitor closet, kitchen and storage area.
Fire alarm systems serving Type III schools, day care centers Class II, and those Type I schools operating as or containing a day care center Class I as defined in Section 13-4-010 shall include automatic detectors as follows:
1. Smoke detectors shall be installed at each floor level, including basements, of each interior stairwell up to and including one level above the level of the school or day care center, except in unoccupied attics.
2. Smoke detectors shall be installed in front of doors to stairwells from the school or day care center and at intervals of no less than 30 feet in all corridors within or serving the school or day care center.
3. Smoke detectors shall be located in all lounges, recreation areas and sleeping rooms.
4. Heat detectors shall be installed in boiler rooms, kitchens and combustible storage areas except where a sprinkler system with a flow alarm connected to the fire alarm system is installed in such rooms.
In all two-story buildings occupied as open plan schools, (a story located below grade level shall be counted, if used for other than building service purposes), approved automatic fire detectors shall be installed throughout the building and be interconnected to the school fire alarm system.
In hotel buildings over four stories, electrical equipment rooms, guest room corridors and elevator lobbies shall be equipped with automatic smoke detectors installed in accordance with NFPA 72E-1984.
In single-room occupancy buildings, automatic heat detectors shall be installed in each single-room occupancy unit, in public corridors, and at each floor level in every interior stairwell. In single- room occupancy buildings, smoke detectors required by Section 13-196-100 of this Code need not be connected to the fire alarm system, but shall be permanently wired to the electrical wiring system of the building.
(Prior code § 78-22; Amend Coun. J. 9-8-86, p. 33588; Amend Coun. J. 6-27-90, p. 17613; Amend Coun. J. 5-4-94, 49750; Amend Coun. J. 5-9-12, p. 27485, § 180)